Thursday, March 25, 2010

The pros and cons of pregnancy.

I titled this post as if I was making the decision to get pregnant, but I want to write about what I remember about my pregnancy with Jack that I did or didn't like. I know, I know, I know that this pregnancy may be completely different. But I've been thinking of all these things throughout the past few days and I thought I could relish them in greater detail here.

Pros:
  • I actually loved the attention. I knew it would be the last time it was "all about me."It was kinda fun to have everyone fuss of me.
  • Not having to suck in my gut anymore.
  • Feeling the baby move. It's such a private, adorable thing to experience. Sometimes not so comfortable, but still awesome.
  • I love maternity pants and their lack of useless belt loops and buttons that dig into me. I think over-belly pants are gross, but the ones that sit under your belly are wonderful
  • I actually admire the maternity close at Motherhood Maternity when I'm not pregnant. Now I can wear it without looking like I've just given up on my figure entirely!
  • No one argues if I have to sit down.
  • High schoolers are brutally honest at eliminating dumb choices for names. But another post on that later.
  • I am big for a good reason. Not big for a bunch of lazy excuses, which is the rest of the time. ;-)
  • No migraines! We'll see if that changes this time around, but I loved that.
  • Great hair, skin and nails from hormones and vitamins!
Switzerland:
  • Sometimes people would gravitate toward my orb-like frontside like a moth to flame, walking toward me with a mile-wide smile and outstretched arm, as if the Force was drawing their hand there. It never bothered me one way or another--I didn't get defensive and I didn't quite embrace it--but sometimes it was just weird. Like one day a guy walked by with his family at Wal-Mart. He came over, unannounced, rubbed my belly and grinned a goofy smile. He whispered, "Congratulations!" and went back to his wife and kids. Weird enough. I can't imagine how confused and weirded out I'd feel if John touched a stranger's belly, then walked back to me as if it was normal. But here's the kicker: she looks at him and snaps, "What?!? Was three not ENOUGH for you? Do I not make you HAPPY???" Uh................ I didn't stick around for the rest of the argument.
  • Why does everyone want my kid to be born on their birthday? Don't you realize that that just means I will NEVER come to your birthday party?
Cons:
  • Morning sickness, hands down. And the subsequent purchase in ginger ale stock.
  • Having to waddle when I walk, which took FOR-EV-ER when trying to get to the bathroom. I would have to use the bathroom between EVERY CLASS. Add the aforementioned slow waddle, possible stairs and a million rude students in my way and I would be late to each class. Every. Time.
  • Stretch marks. Ugly things, I know, but maybe, just maybe I won't get more because the old ones will just reappear??? Don't contradict me on this one. Just let me dream.
  • Listening to people: I'm sorry, women, but many of you are thoughtless and ridiculously rude to pregnant women. I am trying to think "happy thoughts." Only another mom would try to add to a conversation about labor by describing how Mrs. So-and-So had a 8,670-hour labor and the epidural only numbed her throat so she couldn't tell the doctors when something was wrong and the baby came out with a leg growing out of his forehead and had no liver so he died an hour later. This is not helpful!
  • Old wives' tales. Scratching your belly doesn't damage your belly skin unless you are Wolverine. The way babies "sit" in your belly does not always tell you what gender you have. My baby will not drown if I have him in water! There are tons of ridiculous things that people share!
  • Not being able to reach my feet. John would have to lace up my Converse for me.
  • Only being able to safely sleep on one side every night.
  • Heartburn and the inability to enjoy tomatoes, orange juice or anything acidic.

No comments:

Post a Comment